Subject: Re: RAMDISK now running! but some questions left.
To: Boo Geum Jung <bgjung@etri.re.kr>
From: =?ISO-8859-1?Q?Erik_=C4ngg=E5rd?= <erik.anggard@packetfront.com>
List: port-sandpoint
Date: 05/21/2002 00:54:57
Hi Boo. See my answers below.
/Erik

Boo Geum Jung wrote:

>Thank you very much for your answers.
>I tried as you mentioned.
>More script is attached just below.
>
>>As far as i know swapping to a ramdisk is does not serve any purpose.
>>Simply remove the swap line from your /etc/fstab.
>>
>I removed the line at fstab.
>But the follwoing error message came out.

>/etc/rc: WARNING: No swap space configured!

Well, that's just a warning. If you want to get rid of it you can add
the following line to /etc/rc.conf:
no_swap=YES

>>This should not happen if you created ramdisk.fs correctly, did you use
>>makefs(8) or did you make it "manually" using vnconfig, newfs, etc? To
>>get rid of the warning you can use vnconfig(8) to connect a vnd-device
>>to ramdisk.fs and then run fsck on that vnd-device. After that you run
>>vnconfig -u vnd-device and then mdsetimage(8) to install the fixed
>>ramdisk.fs into the kernel again.
>>

>Yes, I manually did "mdsetimage" before vnconfig -u.
>This problem was cleared!
>
>>Some applications, like ps, fstat etc., needs to lookup symbols (to get
>>their values) in the kernel. Normally the symbols are looked up in the
>>kernel in the root of the filesystem (i.e. /netbsd). In a setup like
>>yours that is however not very practical (since it means that the kernel
>>would be on the ramdisk which resides in the kernel image).  There is
>>however an other way to do this using kvm_mkdb(8). This command will
>>extract the symbol table from your kernel and create a db file that
>>should reside in /var/db/kvm.db on your ramdisk. So after you have
>>compiled your kernel you run "kvm_mkdb -o kvm.db netbsd" (where netbsd
>>is the kernel you just compiled) and then you copy kvm.db to /var/db in
>>the directory tree you will use to make your ramdisk.fs. Install
>>ramdisk.fs in your kernel (using mdsetimage) and you're all set.

>Building databases...
>kvm_mkdb: /netbsd: No such file or directory
>
>kvm_mkdb was exeuted at initial time, and it need /netbsd.
>And some command like "netstat -rn" need /netbsd.
># netstat -rn
>netstat: /netbsd: No such file or directory

kvm_mkdb is run from /etc/rc.d/sysdb and since you don't have /netbsd it
will give you that error message. But that shouldn't matter if you have
created kvm.db manually as described above. Do you have a /var/db/kvm.db
on your system? And is it the same as the one you created (run a "diff"
on them to make sure they are the same). Maybe (but I don't think so)
/etc/rc.d/sysdb will overwrite the manually created /var/db/kvm.db, if
that is the case just comment out or remove the kvm_mkdb line in
/etc/rc.d/sysdb.

>>Do they output any error messages?
>>
># useradd -m -c "Boo Geum Jung" -G wheel bgjung
>useradd: pw_mkdb failed: No such file or directory
># vipw
>vipw: the passwd file is busy.
>#

"pw_mkdb" should be read pwd_mkdb, right? It should be located here:
/usr/sbin/pwd_mkdb, maybe you missed to add it to your ramdisk. When
vipw gives that error message it's because there's a lock file named
"/etc/ptmp", see man vipw (8). Just remove it and you should be able to
run vipw again. Note: vipw also uses pwd_mkdb so you must fix that first.

PS. I take it that you're from Korea, is that correct? I'm going there
on vaccation in a few weeks, do you have any recommendation on what to
see and do in Korea?