Subject: Re: Error messgae when netbooting - ex0: device timeout
To: Stephan Thesing <thesing@cs.uni-sb.de>
From: Allen Briggs <briggs@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-sandpoint
Date: 08/02/2001 09:58:45
> On my Sandpoint_X3 with Altimus (and thus MPC107 host/pci bridge) the serial
> demultiplexer is not initialised by the DINK ROM on boot and thus no
> interrupts come through to the CPU from the Sandpoint board.

Ah.  I didn't realize that the X3 has serial interrupt capability.  I
just pulled down the X3 manuals and see that Motorola added the SPF100
interrupt controller.  I haven't poked around enough to see if they've
exposed any of the configuration settings in such a way that they can
be read.  It would be nice if we could test the value of the switch
settings and adjust accordingly.  In the meantime, we might have to
set up a configuration option that will allow you to make a compile-time
choice to match your switch settings.

> Naturally, this is a hack and should probably only be applied, if we are
> sure to have a MPC107 in the system (I didn't check the differences between
> MPC8240/106/107).

The 8240 is essentially an MPC603e + MPC107.  Very minor differences.
So your patch should work there, too.  I'll look at making this a
compile-time option with the code from your patch.

> With this, interrupts finally came through.....
>
> Anyhow, I can't get DMA to work properly.

Hmm...  Just ISA DMA (i.e., floppy ;-), or are you having problems with
DMA to/from the PCI bus as well?  I don't have a floppy attached to my
system, so never bothered with it much at all, except to get it to
compile and configure the driver.

-allen

 http://www.wasabisystems.com/    Quality NetBSD CDs, Sales, Support, Service
NetBSD dev. for _your_ Alpha, ARM, M68K, MIPS, PowerPC, SH3, Sparc, x86, etc...