Subject: Re: non-spam
To: Sebastian Krohn <seb@gaia.sunn.de>
From: None <kpneal@pobox.com>
List: port-s390
Date: 11/18/2002 22:51:31
On Mon, Nov 18, 2002 at 01:20:30PM +0100, Sebastian Krohn wrote:

> Hi!
>
> Chris McKenzie wrote:
> >Come on, am I the only one on this mailing list?  I would love to start
> >the project but I cannot do so without your support!  I have certain
> >aspects working quite poorly and I would like resources (you out there) to
> >help me.  I only have hercules now to work from (the s/390 is far
> >gone) and have done what limited things I can do on it.  Is anybody out
> >there?
>
> If anyone could post a few links to good documentation (on S/390,
> hercules, NetBSD internals ...) i would love it to help with testing and
> - perhaps - little coding work.

See http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/bkserv/

More specifically, from that url click "v1r4" under PDFs, and then
click 'MVS'. This puts you here:

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/bkserv/r4pdf/mvs.html

The really interesting bits are in the Principals of Operation. Don't call
it a "POO", call it the "PoP".

The High Level Assembler (HLASM) docs may be useful as well:

http://www-1.ibm.com/servers/eserver/zseries/zos/bkserv/r4pdf/hlasm.html

Also, there is an HLASM page with yet more stuff.

IBM is really really good at documentation. They may implement something
so amazingly stupid it makes you slap your forehead, but darn if they
don't document what they did.
           On the community of supercomputer fans:
"But what we lack in size we make up for in eccentricity."
  from Steve Gombosi, comp.sys.super, 31 Jul 2000 11:22:43 -0600