Subject: Re: S/390s and Hercules
To: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@conmicro.cx>
From: Master of all that Sucks <vance@ikickass.org>
List: port-s390
Date: 07/12/2001 17:58:19
Considering I spent 80 bucks on a P/390E card and about 20 bucks on a PC
Server 330 to put it in, I would say that the prices on PCI cards have
come down quite a bit.  The problem with the MCA cards is that they are a
lot slower than the PCI cards.  Another problem is that they max out at
128 MB RAM (rare to find the 96 MB cards).  You can get P/390 PCIs with
128 MB on the board, and P/390Es with 256 MB or 1 GB on the board.  Plus
P/390Es can use host system RAM as extended storage.  I don't have
anything against the MCA cards, it's just that I think the P/390E is a
better solution.  You can even use the P/390E under AIX on the newer
RS/6000s and xServer pSeries.  I actually have an MCA P/390 running in an
RS/6000 J50.  Fast machine.

I have Hercules running on a PC Server 704 quad-processor anyway, and I
have to admit it's not so bad.  It's just not as good as real hardware.
I use it for testing software to ensure compatibility with Hercules.
NetBSD would not run as fast on Hercules as it would on the underlying
hardware anyway.  I happen to be lucky enough to have a real full-size
S/390 G5, so I don't really have to worry too much about doing actual
development on Hercules.

Peace...  Sridhar