Subject: S/390s and Hercules
To: None <port-s390@netbsd.org>
From: Jay Maynard <jmaynard@conmicro.cx>
List: port-s390
Date: 07/12/2001 16:02:48
I figured I oughtta join this lsit just in case I can help folks with
getting Hercules running...

Oh, and while I'm here...Sridhar wrote:
>If you can get a P/390 or a P/390E, or an R/390 or anything like that, it
>would help you a lot with any development you wanted to do, and it only
>requires a PCI PC capable of running OS/2.

The best bet for real hardware in a range the average person might be able
to afford is a Micro Channel-based P/390 board and a low-end RS/6000. The
PCI P/390s are somewhat picky about the system they run in, and you get to
deal with getting OS/2 running as well - which, while interesting, can be
aggravating as well unless you're running bog-stock IBM hardware. The MCA
stuff is much more forgiving, and installing the drivers and such under AIX
is actually pretty easy and bulletproof. I paid $1300 for my P/390 with 128
MB real memory (no, you can't just stuff DIMMs on the board, unfortunately)
a while back, and only another $150 for the RS/6000 7009-C10 I stuffed it
in.

Or you could bag that and get a nice fast x86. Hercules on a 1 GHz PIII runs
about as fast as a P/390.