Port-prep archive

Re: Network adapters for 7024-E30

On Sun, 10 Dec 2023 04:16:49 -0500, Aaron B. wrote:

> Was trying to netboot an E30 today. It has an authentic IBM 9-P Fast
> Ethernet card installed, but SMS doesn't see it. No boot devices at all
> as I previously unplugged the SCSI disk and floppy drive.
>
> Does anyone happen to know a FRU number for a card that does work?

According to the 7024-E30 product release page:
https://www.ibm.com/common/ssi/rep_sm/0/877/ENUS7024-E30/index.html
-----
Boot Devices

The system may be booted from CD-ROM, internal or external hard disk, or
network booted using Ethernet (Feature 2985 or 2987) or Token Ring
(Feature 2979) adapters.

    FDX operation during boot is also supported using either 10 Mbps
Ethernet / PCI adapters (#2985 or 2987).

    Boot/NIM capability is also suggested using the 3COM Fast EtherLink XL
for PowerPC Systems adapter (#2986).

    The FDX and 10/100Mb Ethernet support is contained in system firmware
level VIC97066 or later, and can be obtained via Internet at:

        www.rs6000.ibm.com/support/micro
-----

In my other document (the giant RSinfo.pdf) , I found this:
8-Y Ethernet PCI Adapter BNC/RJ-45.... 742 93H1902, #2985
                                           11H8128
                                       D60

8-Z Ethernet PCI 15-pin/RJ-45________ D59 11G8130 #2987
                                      D60