Port-prep archive

Re: 43p: Install kernel boots, generic not

Hi,

> On Sat, Jul 13, 2019 at 06:48:04PM +0200, Ulrich Teichert wrote:
> > I haven't seen a bootloader for prep in the NetBSD tree. Either yaboot
> > (which does not work out of the box:
> > https://www.netbsd.org/ports/macppc/faq.html#yaboot) or grub2 will be
> > candidates, but I think I'll start with yaboot - it's just so much smaller.
>
> but you quoted:
>
> >> NetBSD/prep BOOT, Revision 1.9 (Sun Jul  7 15:18:27 UTC 2019)
>
> so it has to exist ;-)
>
> See src/sys/arch/prep/stand/README

Yes, right.... What I wanted to say was: I haven't seen a bootloader in the
NetBSD tree which can circumvent the firmware boot limit of ~2MB per file
loaded (at least on 43p boxes).

The experiments in the existing bootloader to access the SCSI controler
after load to bypass that limit were more or less causing the whole trip
into NetBSD-prep for me, as it turns out ;-)

Do you know if yaboot would be able to act as a secondary bootloader
to load a kernel > 2MB directly from a NetBSD partition? Or should I
try grub2? Fumbling with the SCSI controler in the bootloader without
hardware documentation will be a waste of time, as I've already found
out. I wasn't able to understand what interrupt/PCI/whatever setup was
missing to get this working.

CU,
Uli
--
Dipl. Inf. Ulrich Teichert|e-mail: Ulrich.Teichert%gmx.de@localhost | Listening to:
Stormweg 24               | Syndrome 81: Le Condor De La Rade, The Briefs: