Port-prep archive

Re: 43p: Install kernel boots, generic not

On Sat, 6 Jul 2019 at 21:06, Ulrich Teichert <lists%ulrich-teichert.de@localhost> wrote:

> I keep answering my own questions... Sorry, I hope this monologue does
> help other people.

Its a fascinating thread for those of us with other (non port-prep)
vintage hardware :)

> I found out what the problem was/is: apparently, the firmware seems to
> have a limit for the file size it can boot. It's somewhere below 2M.
> I was able to boot my 43p with a kernel build by this configuration:
> [... kernel config ...]

Does it load to the ">> NetBSD/prep BOOT" stage and then fail? If so I
wonder if its an issue with the NetBSD bootloader not being able to
find a large enough contiguous chunk of memory (which I would imagine
should be fixable).

Do kernel modules work on port-prep - an easy way to test might be to
try 'modload efs' and then 'modstat'. That could be a way to keep the
base kernel down while still being able to support everything

David