Port-prep archive

Re: Trouble booting an IBM 7248 after installation

On Jul 2, 2014, at 6:21 AM, Andy Ruhl <acruhl%gmail.com@localhost> wrote:

> On Sat, Jun 28, 2014 at 10:45 PM, William Orr <will%worrbase.com@localhost>
> wrote:
>> Hello all,
>>
>> I’ve *almost* successfully installed NetBSD on my IBM 7248. My system is a
>> little special though - the SCSI drive that it had was bad, so I instead
>> installed on a CF Card that’s plugged into the IDE controller. The
>> installation of NetBSD went beautifully, however I can’t boot my system.
>>
>> The SMS sees the CF card as a bootable device, and when booting to it, the
>> serial console hangs and the system never comes up. There’s no real activity
>> happening on the CF card.
>>
>> I then tried creating a netbootable image with the hope of netbooting into
>> my installed system. I booted up the installer again, and dropped to a
>> shell. I chrooted into my system and did /usr/mdec/mkbootimage -m prep -b
>> /usr/mdec/boot_com0 -k /netbsd boot.fs and tried netbooting again. The
>> system grabbed it via tftp, but it hung afterwards. Again, there were no
>> reads on the CF card.
>>
>> It’s worth noting that the CF card is 8GB, and SMS only sees it as roughly
>> 3.7 GBs.
>>
>> Here’s the partition table:
>>
>> # fdisk /dev/wd0
>> Disk: /dev/wd0c
>> NetBSD disklabel disk geometry:
>> cylinders: 15538, heads: 16, sectors/track: 63 (1008 sectors/cylinder)
>> total sectors: 15662304
>>
>> BIOS disk geometry:
>> cylinders: 975, heads: 255, sectors/track: 63 (16065 sectors/cylinder)
>> total sectors: 15662304
>>
>> Partitions aligned to 16065 sector boundaries, offset 63
>>
>> Partition table:
>> 0: Linux/MINIX (sharing disk with DRDOS) or Personal RISC boot (sysid 65)
>>    start 63, size 9800 (5 MB, Cyls 0-0/156/35), Active
>>        PBR is not bootable: All bytes are identical (0x00)
>> 1: NetBSD (sysid 169)
>>    start 9863, size 15652441 (7643 MB, Cyls 0/156/36-974/237/63)
>>        PBR is not bootable: All bytes are identical (0x00)
>> 2: <UNUSED>
>> 3: <UNUSED>
>> First active partition: 0
>>

>> And the disklabel:
>>
>> # /dev/wd0c:
>> type: unknown
>> disk: TS8GCF133
>> label:
>> flags:
>> bytes/sector: 512
>> sectors/track: 63
>> tracks/cylinder: 16
>> sectors/cylinder: 1008
>> cylinders: 15538
>> total sectors: 15662304
>> rpm: 3600
>> interleave: 1
>> trackskew: 0
>> cylinderskew: 0
>> headswitch: 0           # microseconds
>> track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
>> drivedata: 0
>>
>> 8 partitions:
>> #        size    offset     fstype [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
> [...]

Hey,

So I’ve also tried netbooting the generic_com0.fs, as well as an image that
I’ve made with mkbootimage. I also have tried dd’ing an image (made with
mkbootimage -s) to the front of a SCSI disk, and trying to boot that. I always
get a cursor with no boot loader prompt, any way that I try.

William Orr