Subject: RE: problem with PF
To: Mauricio Lima Pilla <pilla@ucpel.tche.br>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-prep
Date: 05/21/2007 20:07:29
On 18-May-2007 Mauricio Lima Pilla wrote:
> but just now I've realized packet filtering is not working (mostly because I
> wasn't trying before :-) . It looks like pf is not included in the kernel
> (nor I can get a module called pf to load):
>
> % pfctl -e
> pfctl: /dev/pf: Device not configured
>
> Am I missing something? Should I download a newer kernel or compile another
> one? I'm awfully scared of installing a new kernel on those machines and lost
> my current setup.

Hrmm.. no.. I don't think I included pf in GENERIC on prep.  Just never got
around to testing it, but I don't see why it wouldn't work.

My suggestion would be to do the following:

1) Grab one of the latest 4.0_BETA2 snapshots, and install that. (use sysinst
upgrade)  I see no reason it shouldn't work fine for you.

2) Download the source for 4.0_BETA2 from anoncvs, and build a custom kernel
with pf in it.  (add pf to GENERIC.local)

3) Install your new kernel into your bootimage.  If you aren't sure it will
boot, you can netboot it first to test, then replace your bootimage.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/