Subject: Re: installing on F40/E30
To: None <port-prep@netbsd.org>
From: Mauricio Lima Pilla <pilla@ucpel.tche.br>
List: port-prep
Date: 08/24/2006 17:05:45
--nextPart3422409.3flBXWSvBV

On Thursday 24 August 2006 14:15, you wrote:
> On 24-Aug-2006 Mauricio Lima Pilla wrote:
> >  - When I rebooted it, I had to manually tell it to use /dev/sd0b (it w=
as
> > trying to boot from the swap partition, which is /dev/sd0a).
>
> Umm.. huh?  Did you change the partition orders in sysinst when installin=
g,
> or did the installer do that all by itself?

I've manually chosen first swap, then root (I'm more acquainted with Linux,=
=20
and there it doesn't make any difference).=20

> > For the last item, should I reinstall it to make / the first partition,
> > or where do I change the bootloader to boot automagically from the
> > correct partition?
>
> The standard in BSD is to allways have root on "a" and swap on "b".=20
> On-disk order doesn't matter, and technically, niether does the name.. but
> there is a chance certain things might assume things one way or another.
>
> You can probably fix that just by editing the disklabel and swapping the a
> and b lines around, and then swapping the letters.  Also make sure the
> partition type is set on each correctly.  / should be 4.2BSD and swap
> should be "swap".
OK. I'll try it.=20

Thanks again,

Pilla

> ---
> Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
> NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS http://www.netbsd.org/
> Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/

=2D-=20
Mauricio Lima Pilla                           pilla@ucpel.tche.br
PPGINF -- ESIN/UCPEL
http://g3pd.ucpel.tche.br/~pilla
key 0x37705BE0

"I'm just very selective about the reality I choose to accept."
                                                        -- Calvin