Subject: Re: installing on F40/E30
To: Mauricio Lima Pilla <pilla@ucpel.tche.br>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-prep
Date: 08/24/2006 10:15:41
On 24-Aug-2006 Mauricio Lima Pilla wrote:
>  - When I rebooted it, I had to manually tell it to use /dev/sd0b (it was
> trying to boot from the swap partition, which is /dev/sd0a).

Umm.. huh?  Did you change the partition orders in sysinst when installing, or
did the installer do that all by itself?

> For the last item, should I reinstall it to make / the first partition, or
> where do I change the bootloader to boot automagically from the correct
> partition?

The standard in BSD is to allways have root on "a" and swap on "b".  On-disk
order doesn't matter, and technically, niether does the name.. but there is a
chance certain things might assume things one way or another.

You can probably fix that just by editing the disklabel and swapping the a and
b lines around, and then swapping the letters.  Also make sure the partition
type is set on each correctly.  / should be 4.2BSD and swap should be "swap".

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/