Subject: Re: installing on F40/E30
To: None <port-prep@netbsd.org>
From: Mauricio Lima Pilla <pilla@ucpel.tche.br>
List: port-prep
Date: 08/24/2006 11:19:22
--nextPart2018742.9cWjlxeGpo

A brief follow-up:

 - Got NetBSD running on the E30, no X installed
 - Used the sysinst_com0.fs (by netbooting) from NetBSD 4 - daily (I think =
it=20
was Aug 19th one)
 - I needed a serial cable, because the graphics card does not work in NetB=
SD
 - When I rebooted it, I had to manually tell it to use /dev/sd0b (it was=20
trying to boot from the swap partition, which is /dev/sd0a).

=46or the last item, should I reinstall it to make / the first partition, o=
r=20
where do I change the bootloader to boot automagically from the correct=20
partition?

I'd like to thanks the NetBSD folks, in special Tim, for supporting such a=
=20
beautiful release.

Cheers,

Pilla

On Wednesday 23 August 2006 15:32, Tim Rightnour wrote:
> On 23-Aug-2006 Mauricio Lima Pilla wrote:
> >  * Which image should I serve to them on the tftp server?
>
> You want the sysinist_com0 image (for serial port)
>
> >  * Must I provide a nfs root?
>
> Not required for installation.
>
> >  * Should my S3 Virge graphics card work on console mode (at least), or
> > do I really need a serial console?
>
> Theoretically it might work with the non-com0 image, but I wouldn't hold =
my
> breath.
>

> Once you netboot the sysinst_com0.fs image, it will just boot straight in=
> the installer, and you can begin the steps to install normally.
>
> ---
> Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
> NetBSD: Free multi-architecture OS http://www.netbsd.org/
> Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/

=2D-=20
Mauricio Lima Pilla                           pilla@ucpel.tche.br
PPGINF -- ESIN/UCPEL
http://g3pd.ucpel.tche.br/~pilla
key 0x37705BE0

"I'm just very selective about the reality I choose to accept."
                                                        -- Calvin