Subject: installing on F40/E30
To: None <port-prep@netbsd.org>
From: Mauricio Lima Pilla <pilla@ucpel.tche.br>
List: port-prep
Date: 08/23/2006 14:34:02
--nextPart1762391.LgO9qVHytj

Hi people,

I'm trying to install NetBSD on both a F40 (7025) and an E30 (7024), using=
=20
netbooting. For now, I can get them to download anything from the tftp=20
server, so I guess there is little missing between me and an install (at=20
least, I hope so).=20

The E30 had a defective ethernet, which I replaced for the one on the F40 a=
nd=20
now both machines can get to the tftp point.=20

I don't have a serial cable, although I'm trying to acquire one (nobody has=
=20
one anymore, I'll probably have one made in an electronics shop).=20

My questions are:
=20
 * Which image should I serve to them on the tftp server?
 * Must I provide a nfs root?=20
 * Should my S3 Virge graphics card work on console mode (at least), or do =
I=20
really need a serial console?
=20
Just as a note, I had to manually add the MAC to my server's arp table or i=
t=20
would timeout before finishing the tftp.

Please forgive me if any of the questions have been answered before, I did=
=20
some searching and couldn't get good answers.

Thanks in advance,

Mauricio

=2D-=20
Mauricio Lima Pilla                           pilla@ucpel.tche.br
PPGINF -- ESIN/UCPEL
http://g3pd.ucpel.tche.br/~pilla
key 0x37705BE0

"I'm just very selective about the reality I choose to accept."
                                                        -- Calvin