Subject: Please test for the upcoming 4.0 release
To: None <port-prep@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-prep
Date: 08/11/2006 08:58:09
The early stages of a 4.0 release have just been branched.  While we have not
yet released 4.0, this is a BETA version of it.

I would really like to get this release tested on prep by as many people as
possible.  Please download one of the BETA snapshots, and install it on your
machine, or upgrade your machine.  Send any and all bug reports with send-pr.
If you think its a problem with the prep port itself, go ahead and send
something to this list.

The latest snapshot is here:
ftp://ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD-daily/netbsd-4/200608090000Z/prep/

Please remember.. this is not a release announcement.. we've just begun the
BETA.  Now is the time to let us know about the bugs though, so 4.0 is the best
release yet.

NOTE FOR UPGRADES:
If you are upgrading from -current and have a system installed after my big
rototill (ie, you have a "boot" partition on your primary boot disk's
disklabel) the standard sysinst upgrade option will just work.  I encourage
it's use.

For anyone running 2.0 or 3.0 or earlier:  It is unreasonably difficult to
upgrade those releases.  Even if you succeed, future upgrades will be equally
as difficult due to the partitioning layout.  I highly reccomend you reinstall
those machines with this BETA.  It will save you alot of pain in the future.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/