Subject: Re: we ethernet on prep
To: Izumi Tsutsui <tsutsui@ceres.dti.ne.jp>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-prep
Date: 06/13/2006 23:15:45
On 13-Jun-2006 Izumi Tsutsui wrote:
> Umm, after I update sources and recompile a kernel,
> now we(4) works even *without* the patch. Weird.

I don't understand what is going on with we at all here.  Mine is completely
unusable, and I can't tell if thats because it's broken, or because prep is
broken.. but yours works occasionally.. which horrifies me even more.

> Anyway, I still have a concern that the PCI VGA device
> requires large chunk of PCI memory space (~8MB),
> so I wonder the BAT can handle such mappings near
> other small mappings.
> (I'm not familiar with powerpc though)

I doubt it's a problem..

> Isn't it better to map static 16MB region for ISA mem space
> rather than mapping regions with BAT on each bus_space_map(9) call?

Well.. it might be..  are you looking at the prep code, or the powerpc shared
code?  BAT mappings are really fast.. and the preferred way to wire things up
on powerpc.  Are you talking about how we batmap the whole PCI IO and MEM
spaces in machdep, or something else?  The big batmaps in machdep.c are probably
the ideal way to do things.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/