Subject: Re: installation on a 7249-860
To: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
From: None <t.sefzick@fz-juelich.de>
List: port-prep
Date: 06/02/2006 11:17:12
On Thu, Jun 01, 2006 at 10:46:29AM -0700, Tim Rightnour wrote:
> Curious.. do you have any PCMCIA cards in either slot?  If so, what?

IBM Credit Card Adapter Ethernet II P/N 42H4916
IBM Data/Fax Modem 14.4kbps Data/14.4kbps Fax

(the Ethernet card is listed on http://www.tecnopolis.ca/aixtp/tpethernet.html)

> Give me a little time to look at this and think about it.  In the meantime..
> that kernel should work just fine as a normal operational kernel.  It just
> boots rather noisily.

Doesn't matter, the main thing is, it's working :-)

> I do notice however.. the only device it lists as being bootable was the SCSI.
> Thats rather annoying.  I think this is the only prep box I've ever seen that
> wasn't netbootable.

In the 'Easy-Setup' menu the list of startup devices contains
the (not existing but everywhere appearing) floppy drive and SCSI
devices, no network card.

> I suspect that if you had some IBM pcmcia cards, and put them in, it would
> detect one of them as being known, and let you netboot with it.  If you happen
> to find one the firmware recognizes, it should also show up in that verbose
> device tree.. I'd be interested in seeing an entry for it.

It seems the pcmcia slots are not working properly (?),
when testing PC Card-1 and PC Card-2 in the 'Easy Setup'
'Test' screen it always says 'OK', even when no card is
plugged in.

There is also a 'Super Test' icon, but it's disabled, and I don't
know the key combination to activate it.

Thomas Sefzick