Subject: Re: TODO list update
To: None <port-prep@netbsd.org>
From: Cory Bajus <cbajus@mts.net>
List: port-prep
Date: 04/17/2006 14:58:41
On Wed, Apr 05, 2006 at 02:31:59PM -0700, Tim Rightnour wrote:
> As for a snapshot, you will need to check
> http://releng.netbsd.org/cgi-bin/builds.cgi for the latest build.  You will
> need to pick a build that is dated at least 4/6/2006 or later, because I just
> committed the sysinst changes today.  I plan to email the list once a build
> gets generated that I think is likely to work.  I'm hoping a few people can try
> installing once that happens and help me test it out.

I have tried the April 8th build on a 7025-F30 and it installed fine.  I
netbooted the 'sysinst_com0.fs' floppy image and installed the sets via
NFS.  Here are some notes regarding the install:

- the 'dd' to write the boot image appeared to fail as follows:

    Command: /bin/dd if=/.bootimage of=/dev/rsd0e bs=512
     Hit enter to continue
dd: /dev/rsd0e: Invalid argument
3002+1 records in
3002+0 records out
1537024 bytes transferred in 25.341 secs (60653 bytes/sec)

However, the system booted without any problems following installation.

- selecting 'reboot' from sysinst does not seem to work - I had to hit
the power switch to restart the system.  This also seems to be the case
for a 'shutdown -r' command as it hangs after the 'rebooting...' message.

- The system asks for the location of the root device and shows '<unknown>'
as the boot device.  Also, it asks for the location of 'init' (this might
be normal behavior for this build).

Great work on sysinst and the other pieces needed to make installation go
so smooth.  The F30 is completely supported.  I will try an F40 next if I
can get it to netboot properly (not a NetBSD problem - it has trouble
netbooting AIX as well).

Cory.