Subject: HEADS-UP: New mkbootimage in the tree
To: None <port-prep@netbsd.org>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-prep
Date: 03/23/2006 12:06:15
I have recently rewritten mkbootimage to be more useable.  This new version
should make it easier to upgrade machines, and to generate new images.  I'm
including the examples from the manpage here for quick reference:

     Create a floppy or netboot image named `boot.fs':
           mkbootimage -b /usr/mdec/boot -k /netbsd boot.fs
     Create a standalone image for booting from a hard disk:
           mkbootimage -s -b /usr/mdec/boot -k /netbsd boot.fs
     Use the partition information on `sd0' to create a new bootable image
     with com0 as the console:
           mkbootimage -b /usr/mdec/boot_com0 -k /netbsd -r /dev/rsd0c boot.fs

Not that it now no longer requires the netbsd kernel to be gzipped prior to
running mkbootimage, it will now gzip the kernel as it builds the image.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/