Subject: Unsupported RS6k's and ofppc
To: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
From: Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
List: port-prep
Date: 03/10/2006 23:45:33
On 09-Mar-2006 Jochen Kunz wrote:
> I did quite some work on ofppc about a year ago. I wrote PCI and ISA
> attachments, pulled the whole interrupt code from port-prep to support
> real interrupts, not just the fake OFW interrupt stuff. I have platform
> dependent code for the Motorola PowerStack II (PReP with OFW) and the
> IBM RS/6000 B50 and 43P-150 (7043-150). This code can be extended to
> generic PReP and CHRP support.

Ok.. I have some ideas here.. so bear with me.

First.. from speaking with someone about the Powerstack II 3000, I was told
that it has three different firmware images available for it.  Firmworks OF,
PPC-BUG, and ARC.  The PPC-BUG manual states that it provides residual data.
This means that if you can get PPC-BUG firmware on that machine, and the manual
wasn't lying, then you can most likely boot NetBSD/prep.

Second.  The 7043-150 may or may not be a transitional machine like the 7025.
If it is, I believe it also provides residual, and can boot and run prep.

As for the B50.. I have no clue.. but stay tuned...

> State is: IBM RS/6000 B50 and 43P-150 (with a bit of hacking maybe any
> CHRP machine) detect all PCI and ISA devices but they hang when they
> try to mount root as interrupts don't work. Similar for the PowerStack
> II / PReP. Once I got the PowerStack II as far as mounting a MFS root
> and emit packets on an add on ex(4) PCI card.

Yeah.. this is the *exact* problem I had with the 7024.  What you need to do is
find the interrupt map.  I've seen OFW node dumps of the 7043-150, and I know
there is a node somewhere called "interrupt-map" or maybe its a property of a
node.  This (once decoded) will tell you exactly how to wire the openpic.

Also.. if the machine is prep bootable, then you have a second wonderful
opportunity.  You can use prep to understand the architecture of the machine,
and then make it work under ofppc.

> If there is someone with interrest I can port my old patches to -current
> and put them on the net. I don't wane commit it in this state as it will
> fsck up port-ofppc. (Hmmm. Maybe I chould commit anyway. Maybe enough
> people get anoyed to help me fix the remaining issues. ;-) )

I'd be more than happy to help you with OpenPIC/MPIC issues.

---
Tim Rightnour <root@garbled.net>
Genecys: Open Source 3D MMORPG: http://www.genecys.org/