Subject: Re: Installing 2.0.2 onto IBM 7248-100
To: Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-prep
Date: 07/23/2005 17:29:45
On Sat, 23 Jul 2005 06:03:31 -0700
Andy Ruhl <acruhl@gmail.com> wrote:

> After I hit F2 during boot to change the boot sequence to floppy, I
> tried booting sysinst.fs. The floppy drive read the disk for a while
> but then the machine asked for the SMS disk so I assume that failed.
Maybe your floppy disk is bad? Usually I need 10 disks to find one that
works sometimes, the other nine have bad blocks all the time.

> I booted the generic.fs disk, and it looks like this is just a kernel.
Yes. This is for helping you when you have a system on the HD but the HD
is no longer bootable.

> Can I use sysinst to install on this?
Yes. (I think. ;-) )

> Also, are there instructions on how to boot from the built in network
> adapter via netboot? Is it just a standard bootp thing?
Maybe I shold write some HOWTO / FAQ for the port-prep web page.
Netbooting is the usual bootp / DHCP and tftp game. The image that the
machine expects is identical to a floppy image. I.e. set up dhcpd(8) to
supply boot options to the machine and then give it sysinst.fs via
tftpd(8).
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen