Subject: Some package compilation help
To: NetBSD Prep Users <port-prep@NetBSD.org>
From: Tim Gallagher <tim.gallagher@earthlink.net>
List: port-prep
Date: 02/01/2005 09:02:53
I am very familiar with Gentoo's package distribution, which does not
distribute binaries, but instead distributes e-builds, which are
essentially templates to build package binaries from source.  To update
the source tree to the latest available revisions, you use 'emerge sync'
or you can download the latest portage snapshot from a Gentoo mirror.
To update to the latest stable release, you just use emerge, to update
to the latest beta, you set ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~arch", where arch is your
system architecture (like x86 or ppc).
My question is, is there something similar in NetBSD?   Could someone
fill in the blanks below?

Gentoo command                         NetBSD equivalent
emerge {pkg}                                cd /usr/pkgsrc/{pkg} ; make
; make install
qpkg {pkg}                                     pkg_info {pkg}
emerge sync                                            ?
ACCEPT_KEYWORDS="~ppc" emerge {pkg}                         ?