Subject: Re: IBM RS/6000 - more trouble or just my terminal?
To: Keith Bennett <kanezor@gmail.com>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-prep
Date: 01/31/2005 20:27:43
On Mon, 31 Jan 2005 00:31:55 -0600
Keith Bennett <kanezor@gmail.com> wrote:

> It said "reset: not found" ... I don't think reset is included on the
> installation diskette... ;)
You use reset(1) on the host shell where your terminal emulator runs. If
you have a hardware terminal use its "screen reset" or the like fuction.

> It seems it didn't recognize cu or minicom as a terminal, but xterm
> worked.=20
cu(1) and minicom(1) are no terminal types. They are terminal programms
running on an other machine emulating a terminal.

> That'll be something to look into, I think. My terminal is an IBM
> InfoWindow II 3153 if anyone is interested.
Aha. A hardware terminal. Either your terminal isn't set up to use the
proper terminal emulaton ("vt100", "vt220" or "ANSI" should do) or its
emulaton is buggy. Unfortunately the later is quite common.=20

> As for the installation... like I said earlier, I'm new to *BSD (new
> to any *nix for that matter). I loaded up the sysinst program, and
> tried installing... selected Full installation, when it asked if I
> wanted to edit the MBR or use entire disk, I selected the entire disk,
> it then asked "Yes or no?" with no information regarding it... wtf,
> eh?
PReP machines need a MBR partition table. There are two partitions in
that table: One containing the OS kernel and one conaining the NetBSD
file systems. The later partition is split up into slices (BSD term for
partition) by a disklabel(5). Slice A is allways boot, B swap, C entire
disk / entire BSD part of the disk, D entire disk, E etc. are free for
any use.

> Any help?
I posted detaild instalation instructions and an installation log to the
list some days ago. Search the archive for:
Subject: Re: netbsd 2.0 on rs6000 43p, what I've been able to do so far,
and where i got stuck
Date: Tue, 25 Jan 2005 22:08:04 +0100
also note my mail with