Subject: Re: NetBSD for RS6000 7011-250 (or -220)?
To: Klaus Heinz <k.heinz.jul.vier@onlinehome.de>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-prep
Date: 07/05/2004 17:34:17
On Sun, Jul 04, 2004 at 07:17:46PM +0200, Klaus Heinz wrote:

> Unfortunately I know nothing about RS6000 machines :-/. If I switch the
> machine on, the floppy gets accessed twice, the SCSI disk is powered up
> and some numbers flash on the front display. Using a 13W3-to-VGA adapter
> for SUN machines the monitor does not get a signal.
IIRC there are some DIP switches on the frame buffer where you can
configure the monitor type internaly or use the sense pins on the 13W3
connector for recognizing the monitor. In any case: You need a sync on
green capable monitor.

> Is there some kind of BIOS/OpenBootProm or serial console? Should the
> 13W3-to-VGA adapter work?
No OpenFirmWare AFAIK, but my /250 switched to serial console when I had
no monitor and no keyboard attached. Maybe you need to switch it to
"service mode" at the front. Be patient. Sometimes these machines need a
_long_ time to POST until they start talking on the console.
--

tschüß,
         Jochen