Subject: Re: installing on a 7248
To: None <port-prep@netbsd.org>
From: Stefan Tibus <Stefan.Tibus@uni-konstanz.de>
List: port-prep
Date: 04/27/2004 09:21:48
On 11 Feb 2004 12:53:28 GMT, Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de> wrote:
>> Ha, I searched the web for info about the 7248 and IDE and
>> found some postings that informed me that there where IDE
>> ports on the motherbard.  When I looked, sure enough,
>> there where two ports!
> Ups. I never noticed this. Can the machine boot from IDE? (Press F2 or F4
> when the machines powers up and displays the device icons on the screen.
> F2 brings you to a boot select menu and F4 makes the machine boot the
> firmware setup disk. Or was F4 for the boot select menu? Can't remember.)

It can! I have an 7248-133 currently running Linux and booting
off an IDE drive. IDE drives show up in the SMS as "IDE" ID 0 to 3.
Have a look at the "Test" option of the SMS and you'll find the IDE
controller...

BTW, just yesterday I was trying to get NetBSD 1.6.2 booted (off the net),
however I didn't now I had to boot generic.fs or sysinst.fs yet...
Can somebody tell me what those files actually contain and how they
are generated?
For Linux the actual kernel executable is used, the ELF header is
stripped off and a PReP partition header prepended (during the build
process of the kernel already).

cu,
Stefan