Subject: Re: boot after install
To: Paul JURCO <paul@zeus.east.utcluj.ro>
From: Jochen Kunz <jkunz@unixag-kl.fh-kl.de>
List: port-prep
Date: 01/18/2004 12:18:47
On Sat, 17 Jan 2004 14:05:37 +0200
"Paul JURCO" <paul@zeus.east.utcluj.ro> wrote:

> I've installed NetBSD on IBM 43P-120 and I have=20
> dd generic.fs to /dev/sd0c (generic_com0.fs) doesn't boot at all.
> At the boot time I am asked about root device, I've typed sd0a,=20
> where my root partition resides, and sd0b as dump device (swap=20
> partition), but it panics because it doesn't find init.
You have to repartition the disk after dding the floppy image to the
disk. Boot from the installation disk, go to a shell, run fdisk on the
SCSI disk. You will see a partition at the begining of the disk with
type PReP boot. Make a 2nd partition that coveres the rest of the disk
of type NetBSD. Run disklabel on the SCSI disk and do the usual BSD
slicing (a, root-FS, b swap, e /usr, ... leave c and d alone). Most
likely you will have to reinstall the system. (Make filesystems on the
disk, mount them, untar distribution sets, run MAKEDEV)

It seams there is no way for the bootloader and / or kernel to determine
the boot disk. So you have to hardwire the root-FS in the kernel config
like:
config         netbsd  root on sd0a type ffs
--=20

tsch=FC=DF,
       Jochen