Subject: [ot] anyone experienced with ibm personal power series 830?
To: None <port-prep@netbsd.org>
From: trashcan man <trash_tmp@poczta.onet.pl>
List: port-prep
Date: 11/02/2003 01:05:19
oh dear.  seems i killed this thing.  what i did was to update
firmware to the latest (v1.10, from p8x0_110.exe, downloaded
from ibm ftp site) version.  now, during boot, when displaying
the memory icon it makes a short beep and hangs, w/o any error icon.
can anybody experienced with this hardware tell me, what should
i do now?  i guess nobody at ibm tested it without parity memory
and without l2 cache module.  should i get parity simm's,
or a good soldering iron and memory flasher?

silly me.  before updating, i got into a firmware command line
and made it load new firmware into memory and jump to it's entry
point.  it hanged in the exact same way it does now.  i thought,
'well, it tries to reinit some device that does not like it'...
and flashed it into rom.

sorry for the offtopic.