Subject: Re: root+swap device
To: None <port-prep@netbsd.org>
From: Jesse Peterson <jpeterson275@attbi.com>
List: port-prep
Date: 01/08/2003 16:52:53
Jochen Kunz wrote:
> On 2003.01.08 23:00 Jesse Peterson wrote:
>

>>I successfully got the 1.5 snapshot from this past summer (2002)
>>installed on a 43P.
>
> Why not 1.6?

Well, I just havn't had any time.  =)
The installation was done in the summer, and the box has been extremely
stable.  I actualy didn't know that 1.6-release contained PReP.  I
thought it wasn't stable enough for a release.  Curious also that it
doesn't contain documentation in ftp.netbsd.org/pub/NetBSD/NetBSD-1.6/prep.

>>It boots off the disk and loads and starts the
>>kernel.  Unfortunately it stops there and asks for the root device and
>>swap device.  Is there a way (i'm assuming it's a kernel option or
>>something) to tell it each time it boots where the root and swap are?
>
> NetBSD-prep is currently unable to determine the root-device. You need
> to recompile the kernel and hardcode the root-device in the kernel
> config. Somthing like:
> config  netbsd  root on sd0 type ?

That's what I figured.  Thanks, I'll have to look in the documentation
on how to build a NetBSD kernel and wait the hours+ it'll take on this
133mhz beast. =)

--
Jesse Peterson  /  jesse@pixeltechs.com