Subject: Re: IBM Rs6k 43P-140
To: Zen <zen@kill-9.it>
From: David W. Rankin Jr. <drankin@bohemians.lexington.ky.us>
List: port-prep
Date: 05/23/2002 09:52:54
On Thu, May 23, 2002 at 03:32:29PM +0200, Zen wrote:
> Hi,
> 	been looking around for more info, but didn't find anything
> 	exaustive: I'm a netbsd newbie trying to install netbsd on a
> 	7043 system, 43P-140.
> 	It seems it's a prep system. Fine. Even if not listed among
> 	supported platforms. Fine. It even boots the latest
> 	sysinstall_com0.fs from the snapshot (20020502).
> 	It hangs for a stupid IRQ sharing problem, for what I see.
> 	Bad.

The 43P-140 is a CHRP system, not a PREP system. These machines are
much closer to the OpenFirmware Macs (since the CHRP firmware is built
on top of a functioning OpenFirmware) than the PREP RS/6000 boxes.

It might make sense to make these machines part of the macppc port,
or to "fork" the macppc port into a "port-chrp" effort.

Thanks,
David

--
David W. Rankin, Jr.     Christian, Husband, Father, and UNIX Sysadmin.
   ".... As for me and my household, we will serve the LORD." Joshua 24:15