Subject: Re: CPU specific Idle() function in locore_subr.S
To: Tim Kelly <hockey@dialectronics.com>
From: Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 01/20/2005 14:37:24
At 05:51 AM 1/20/2005, Tim Kelly wrote:
>On Wed, 19 Jan 2005 13:04:34 -0800
>Matt Thomas <matt@3am-software.com> wrote:
>
> > My suggestion would be to add a member to cpu.h and call it
> > indirectly.  I can do that code if you want.  It's only a few minutes
> > to do. :)
>
>I see the changes - thanks! I'll start examining how to implement the
>different approaches, starting with adding dssall for Altivec CPUs.
>
>One question I have: in the MPC7450 User's Manual, it states that a
>"context switching" instruction must be given after the mtmsr
>MSR[PSL_EE] instruction. Would you be able to elaborate or clarify this
>statement, as I'm not real clear on what this means.

Read that again, it's "context synchronizing".  See section
2.3.2.4.1.  Basically, there are 3 context synchronizing
instructions: isync, sc, and rfi.  For our purposes, isync
is the one we want.

--
Matt Thomas                     email: matt@3am-software.com
3am Software Foundry              www: http://3am-software.com/bio/matt/