Subject: Re: Boot code of linuxppc v. netbsd
To: Stephen.Ma@jtec.com.au (Stephen Ma), David Edelsohn <dje@watson.ibm.com>
From: Dan Jacobowitz <youngdrow@geocities.com>
List: port-powerpc
Date: 01/06/1998 21:30:20
At 6:12 PM -0400 1/6/98, Stephen Ma wrote:

>David> 	XCOFF basically has three sections: text, data, and bss.  It
>David> has some internal sections like read-only data, private data,
>David> and TOC, but these actually are encapsulated into the three
>David> standard sections.  XCOFF definitely does not have additional
>David> ELF-like sections.
>
>The xcoff format does allow an arbitrary sections. In fact, the Linux
>coffboot code makes specific use of this in a rather cute way - it
>puts the kernel (and md image) in their own section, but it doesn't
>rely on the xcoff loader to load these sections into memory (which is
>another reason for suspecting that the Mac open firmware xcoff loader
>only loads .text, .data and clears .bss).
>
>- S

Not quite true - the coffboot does no loading from disk, but only copies it
from wherever the XCOFF loader decides to put it to the address KERNELBASE
(0xc0000000 or 0x90000000 on different PPCs).

I'm trying to build a new version with only those sections... any idea on
how to get rid of the .comment section?  The linux ld.script nicely packed
all the others into what I think are reasonable places but didn't touch
.comment; I assume it's a compile option to gcc somewhere....

Dan

| Dan Jacobowitz                 | drow@drow.net                    |
|  Administrator Extraordinaire  | Web site coming someday          |
| My opinions are my own -       | Day Job: http://www.wwwcomm.com  |
| My mistakes are someone else's |                                  |