Port-pmax archive

Re: Regarding the ULTRIX and OSF1 compats

    Date:        Sat, 16 Mar 2019 16:28:33 +0100
    From:        =?UTF-8?B?SmFyb23DrXIgRG9sZcSNZWs=?= <jaromir.dolecek%gmail.com@localhost>

  | You suggest that there are people who care about the compat, who are
  | not on the mailing list. How do you suggest we reach them?

You obviously saw the rest of my message where that was explained.

  | Max did everything reasonable to gather feedback about this, waiting a
  | long time for feedback to come.

Waiting (more than a few days, or a week) for e-mail feedback is pointless.
AFter that everyone has forgotten about it.

  | The stuff will stay in Attic, so if somebody steps in to
  | actually maintain it, they would be able to revive it just as easily
  | as if it would be simply unlinked from build.

You can't seriously believe that.    For someone to maintain - I guess
possibly, but that's not generally needed.   Most of this code still
works (at least most of the time)   What's needed is for an average user
to be able to enable it - which might even mean still building it, just
not in GENERIC (the same as was done with LEGACY for the old PC stuff
that was removed from GENERIC).   For userland it would probably (also)
mean moving it to pkgsrc, where it still needs to be maintained by someone.

EIther of those move it a little out of mainstream NetBSD while still
making it easy for a "why isn't it as easy as windows?" type user to
still get what they need.

kre