Port-pmax archive

Re: Vax vs X11

On 21 December 2014 at 21:51, Björn Johannesson <rherdware%yahoo.com@localhost> wrote:

> Anyways, gleening at the openbsd code I have now un-fubar'd the keyboard
> in X11. \o/ (I'm hoping Jochen still will send me the mouse he promised :P)
> A testkernel can be found at (7.99.3):
> http://2.248.109.164/netbsd.generic
>
> This involves changing three files in sys/dev/dec
> dzkbd.c, lk201_ws.c and lk201var.h

Wonderful stuff!

> However... this also effects other users of the LK-keyboards (pmax).
> I do not own a suitable machine for testing.
> This looks suspiciously like the vax code. X11-kbd in pmax fubar too?
> Does anyone know the state of affairs for pmax? Someone said that the pmax
> port is totally broken.

I think some of the MI mips changes may have caused some pmax issues,
and I think it is still waiting on someone with the combination of
time, inclination and access to hardware to fix :/

Last I checked pkgsrc/emulators/gxemul emulated a few DECstations
enough to test NetBSD.

I would say if the changes fix VAX keyboards & mice at this point it
would probably be worth going ahead and committing them (unless you
have the time and inclination and someone would like to ship you a
little DECstation to go with your VAXen? :)

> Fwiw i put a kernel up (7.99.3):
> http://2.248.109.164/pmax.generic
>
> Patches are at (sys/dev/dec):
> http://2.248.109.164/dzkbd.c.diff
> http://2.248.109.164/lk201_ws.c.diff
> http://2.248.109.164/lk201var.h.diff
>
> And pmax (sys/dev/tc):
> http://2.248.109.164/zskbd.c.diff
>
> Btw, I was looking at the old Xhpc and Xmacppc servers and they do not look
> trivial to get compiling in the current X11 tree.
> Saw that hpcsh ships with Xorg too nowadays. It used Xhpc when I last
> used it. So no help there. :/
>
> Anyone familiar with Tiny-X?
> http://forum.tinycorelinux.net/index.php?topic=16299.0
> Perhaps a better option? Of course, someone would have to write the wsfb
> code to hook into it.

If any X11 variation is picked someone will probably need to go
through all the recent X11 security announcements and check the old
code :)

Another option might be to look at what compile options are available
with the current code and see how much could be compiled out and if
the rest could be built into a single large binary.