Subject: Re: Booting a 5000/240 from CD
To: Louis Wevers <freubel@xs4all.nl>
From: Anders Hogrelius <ahs@hogrelius.nu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/07/2007 21:40:58

---1871705151-2103311659-1194468058=:96539

I believe the problem is that you have a valid disklabel when you try to=20
write the image to the disk. I've come across this problem before, though=
=20
on other platforms running *BSD. Try to wipe the disklabel by writing=20
zeros to /dev/rsdXc, reboot and then try to write the image to /dev/rsdXc

It is important that you write the image to the raw device, thus rsd=20
rather than sd. Also, slice c is the whole disk on most platforms with=20
i386 being one exception. The c (or d on i386) slice is automatically=20
assumed to be the whole disk by the kernel even if there isn't a valid=20
disklabel present.

Cheers,
Anders

Anders Hogrelius, MSc