Subject: Re: Booting a 5000/240 from CD
To: Henry Bent <hbent@cs.oberlin.edu>
From: Louis Wevers <freubel@xs4all.nl>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/07/2007 20:45:20
Hi,

Ok, I've gotten to the part of trying to write the image to a spare
drive. First I emptied the whole disk and created a partion on it using
disklabel and formatted it using newfs. The output of "dislabel -r sd5"
looks like this:

# disklabel -r sd5

# /dev/rsd5c:
type: SCSI
disk: RZ58     (C) DE
label: NetBSD
flags:
bytes/sector: 512
sectors/track: 85
tracks/cylinder: 15
sectors/cylinder: 1275
cylinders: 2112
total sectors: 2698061
rpm: 3600
interleave: 1
trackskew: 0
cylinderskew: 0
headswitch: 0           # microseconds
track-to-track seek: 0  # microseconds
drivedata: 0

5 partitions:
#        size    offset     fstype  [fsize bsize cpg/sgs]
 a:   2698061         0       boot                      # (Cyl.    0 -
2116*)
 c:   2698061         0     unused      0     0         # (Cyl.    0 -
2116*)

So, then I tried to write the image to it using dd:

# dd if=/dev/cd0a of=/dev/sd5a
dd: /dev/sd5a: Read-only file system
4+0 records in
3+0 records out
1536 bytes transferred in 0.131 secs (11725 bytes/sec)

I also tried using /dev/rsd5a as device and using a chmod 777 on
/dev/sd5a; all with the same result. So, poking around a bit I tried
using installboot to write anything to the disk:

# installboot -v /dev/rsd5a /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffs
File system:         /dev/rsd5a
File system type:    raw (blocksize 8192, needswap 0)
Primary bootstrap:   /usr/mdec/bootxx_ffs
Bootstrap start sector: 1
Bootstrap sector count: 15
Bootstrap load address: 0x80700000
Bootstrap exec address: 0x80700000
Writing bootstrap
Writing boot block
installboot: Writing `/dev/rsd5a': Read-only file system
installboot: Set bootstrap operation failed

So, the big question that remains for me is, how do I get my filesystem
not to be read-only?

Many thanks in advance.

Louis