Subject: Re: Booting a 5000/240 from CD
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Henry Bent <hbent@cs.oberlin.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/05/2007 13:55:03
On Mon, 5 Nov 2007, Louis Wevers wrote:

> Hi,
>
> Perhaps a bit stupid question, but I can't seem to figure it out. I try
> to boot my 5000/240 from a freshly created CD (created from the ISO
> image available from the NetBSD site).
>
> I tried something like: "boot 3/rz0" and "boot 3/rz0/netbsd"
>
> Unfortunately it only comes back to me with something like: "?IO: 3/rz0
>        (cmd: rd)"
>
> When I boot the installed 1.6 on the machine, I can read the CD
> properly. file structure looks normal etc.
>
> Any ideas on how to boot the machine from CD?
>
> Many thanks in advance,
> Louis

Hi Louis,

You need a CD-ROM drive that can do 512 byte hardware sectors if you want
to boot from it.  There's a list of them at
http://home.comcast.net/~safeharborbay/c128/scsi/suncds.html but I have
no affiliation with that site and can't guarantee anything.  I personally
have used RRD42s and various Toshiba models in the past.

If that fails and you have an extra SCSI hard drive, you can just dd a CD
image to the hard drive and boot off of that.  I've done it a few times
and neither Ultrix nor NetBSD seem to mind that you're not using a real
CD-ROM.

--
Henry Bent
hbent@cs.oberlin.edu