Subject: Compiler speeds (was: why do we do it)
To: Johnny Billquist <bqt@Update.UU.SE>
From: Greg 'groggy' Lehey <grog@NetBSD.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/22/2005 09:58:36
--6BvahUXLYAruDZOj

On Monday, 22 August 2005 at  1:35:23 +0200, Johnny Billquist wrote:
> On Mon, 22 Aug 2005, George Michaelson wrote:
>
>> From memory, in 1982 the time to recompile 4.1BSD on a 780 was 2 days.
>>
>> So we've not done too badly to move on up to a week in over 20 years.
>
> Umm, given that it now takes slightly over a week to compile the whole
> shebang on a VAX-8650, that would be about six or seven weeks on an
> 11/780...
>
> 4.3 Reno compiled blindingly fast in comparision on the same
> hardware.

I once started building a cross-compiler suite for 2.11BSD.  I never
finished, but I got close enough to estimate how long a "make world"
would take: about 10 seconds on a 133 MHz Pentium.  That's partly
because of the smaller size of the 2.11BSD distribution, but mainly
because the compilers were much faster: they had to be.

Greg

--6BvahUXLYAruDZOj

--6BvahUXLYAruDZOj--