Subject: Re: DECstation 5000/200 questions
To: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
From: Simon Burge <simonb@wasabisystems.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/03/2005 10:22:25
Sean Davis wrote:

> OK, I've got it at least trying to boot. But, even though it gets the right
> stuff from BOOTP, I get this trying to boot from tftp:
>
> KN02-AA V5.3t
> >>boot 6/tftp
> 4879776?IO: 6/tftp, a.out err (-5)
>
> (the file is not a.out, it's that netbsd-INSTALL.ecoff.gz kernel,
> un-gzipped. I've tried with the ELF version too, no go there either.)
>
> When trying MOP:
> >>boot 6/mop
>
> ???
> ? PC: 0xbfc0584c<vtr=UTLBM>
> ? CR: 0xc<CE=0,EXC=TLBS>
> ? SR: 0x30080000<CU1,CU0,CM,IPL=8>
> ? VA: 0x76e0
>
> The mop server shows this (I'm just running mopd in foreground mode):
> RSX Image
> Header Block Count: 0
> Image Size:         00000000
> Load Address:       000076e0
> Transfer Address:   00000200
> MOP DL 0:8:c7:a4:a9:40   > 8:0:2b:1b:c6:a4   len 1058 code 02 MLD
>

> I'm guessing that this is the "kernel is way the hell too big" issue... but
> then, the question is, what file do I tell it to load over the network? :-)

If this is the size issue (and not a hardware issue), older
releases for pmax include a "nfsnetbsd.gz" kernel which is quite
small.  It doesn't have sysinst, but you can use it to bootstrap
a system with a bit of fiddling.  Look on ftp.netbsd.org under
pub/NetBSD-archive/NetBSD-1.5.3/pmax/binary/kernel for that kernel.

If you're using NFS instead of disk, you should be able to compile
up a relatively small -current kernel without too much trouble.  Let
me know if you want a hand doing this.

Simon.
NetBSD Support and Service:         http://www.wasabisystems.com/