Subject: DECstation 5000/200 questions
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Sean Davis <dive-nb@endersgame.net>
List: port-pmax
Date: 06/02/2005 01:15:04
Okay, first off: I am totally new to NetBSD/pmax, and, for that matter, MIPS
hardware in general.

Thanks to a kind individual in my area with lots of goodies to give away, I
have acquired a DECstation 5000/200. After checking the FAQ on netbsd.org, I
have a couple questions that are more related to networking than port-pmax,
but I thought I'd ask them here anyway, in case anybody had run into the
same type of issues.

1) My 5000/200 will run headless; I already have a db9 <-> db9 cable to use
   for serial console, and a db9 <-> db25 adapter to make it work on Sun
   machines. Am I correct in assuming that a gender bender is all I'll need
   to be able to use it for console on the pmax?

2) I haven't used coax for networking in almost ten years. I've got all the
   cable, t-connectors, and such, that I'll need, but due to my network
   topology and current lack of console access to the machine, I am unable
   to determine if a 10base5 <-> 10base2 tranceiver is getting a link or
   not. I've got an IBM 8271 10baseT switch as my main backbone at the
   moment, and it has an AUI port that I believe I can use to connect to a
   trans and then to the DEC. Is that all I need? I've also got a DEC
   ThinNet Repeater and a Kalpana 10base5 switch, but I'd prefer to avoid
   having to use those if at all possible (it is already way too hot in
   here)

3) Is setting up netboot for a pmax as simple as setting it up for, say, a
   sun4[cmu]? IOW, once I've done it once, it's not a challenge anymore?

4) Should I expect a link light if I just power on the DEC with no boot
   device, just the 10base2 connected as (I think) it should be? In my first
   trial, nothing lit up other than power on the transceiver.

If there is anything obvious I've missed, please point me to the appropriate
FM. Any help would be greatly appreciated, as I look forward to having a
MIPS box (however slow it may be) to test code portability on.

TIA,
-Sean