Subject: Re: DECstation 3100 self-test failure
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Aaron J. Grier <agrier@poofygoof.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/24/2004 16:33:28
On Fri, Sep 24, 2004 at 07:05:08PM -0400, Robert Mohr wrote:

> I have a 3100 that is fully functional with the exception of the
> internal SCSI harness.  A few of the wires in the harness have
> separated from the connector and it is next to impossible to determine
> where they came from, or how I might reconnect them.  I've had no luck
> locating a replacement internal SCSI harness, so the machine is
> basically useless to me now.

from what I recall, the internal SCSI bus was a standard 50 pin, so you
could replace it with your run-of-the-mill SCSI ribbon cable.  I forget
whether or not the bus was terminated on the motherboard end.  the 68pin
honda connector on the back was always a pain anyway.  (:

> It is fully configured with RAM (although I don't recall the size of
> the chips that are in it).

24MB is as much memory as the 2100/3100 goes.

> (P.S. I also have a VR-299 color monitor and cable that was used with
> the built-in frame-buffer on the 3100.  The thing is very bulky and
> heavy and would probably cost more than it is worth to ship, however
> you are welcome to it.)

you could/should offer the video memory stick with this; almost all
2100/3100s I've ever had were black and white.

  "someday the industry will have throbbing frontal lobes and will be able
  to write provably correct software.  also, I want a pony." -- Zach Brown