Subject: Re: DECstation 3100 self-test failure
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: George Harvey <fr30@dial.pipex.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/24/2004 22:20:54
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004 18:43:24 -0400 (EDT)
Kirk Russell <kirk@ba23.org> wrote:

> On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, George Harvey wrote:
>
> > I've aquired a 3100 that I'm hoping to install NetBSD on.
> > Unfortunately it fails the self-test:
> >
> > KN01 V7.01
> >
> > 7..6..5..4..3..2..
> > ??
> >
> > >From what I can gather from the 'net, test 2 is the LANCE Ethernet
> > controller. I've tried both an AUI transceiver and BNC terminator
> > but still get the failure. Is there any hope or have I got a dead
> > board?
>
> On the back of the box, between the AUI and BNC connectors, is a
> button that selects if you using AUI or BNC.  And a green light that
> shows if you have a link.  Try to toggle the switch to see if you
> can light up the green light, on one of you two networks.  I would
> guess no green light is the cause of the above self-test failure.

Thanks for the reply, I've tried the switch and I get the green light on
both interfaces when I select them. The AUI-10baseT transceiver also
shows link active so power is getting to the AUI port.

> I don't think a single BNC terminator will work.  Try a T-connector
> and two terminators instead.

I should have been more specific, the terminator is a T-piece and two
terminators.

I found a web site which listed a lot of the ROM test routines
(www.q.dyndns.org/~blc/DS3100/3100test.html) but I can't get any of them
to run on my 3100, the console just hangs. On my 2100 (which passes its
self-test) they work as described. Having test routines which don't work
if the self-test fails seems like a bad idea but that is the only
difference I can see between the two machines. Is there anything else
that would stop the test routines running?

Thanks,
George