Subject: Re: DECstation 3100 self-test failure
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.org>
From: Kirk Russell <kirk@ba23.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/23/2004 18:43:24
On Thu, 23 Sep 2004, George Harvey wrote:

> I've aquired a 3100 that I'm hoping to install NetBSD on. Unfortunately
> it fails the self-test:
>
> KN01 V7.01
>
> 7..6..5..4..3..2..
> ??
>
> >From what I can gather from the 'net, test 2 is the LANCE Ethernet
> controller. I've tried both an AUI transceiver and BNC terminator but
> still get the failure. Is there any hope or have I got a dead board?

On the back of the box, between the AUI and BNC connectors, is a
button that selects if you using AUI or BNC.  And a green light that
shows if you have a link.  Try to toggle the switch to see if you
can light up the green light, on one of you two networks.  I would
guess no green light is the cause of the above self-test failure.

I don't think a single BNC terminator will work.  Try a T-connector
and two terminators instead.

--
Kirk Russell                              <kirk@ba23.org>
Bridlewood Software Testers Guild         http://www.ba23.org/