Subject: Re: PMAX serial console
To: Maciej W. Rozycki <macro@linux-mips.org>
From: Boris Maryshev <bmaroshe@itcollege.ee>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/19/2004 20:32:51
On Sun, 19 Sep 2004, Maciej W. Rozycki wrote:

> that actually prevent the setup from working.  I had an opportunity to get
> a free PMAX last year, but I missed it.  I hope I'll be able to get one
> eventually, but meanwhile if you are really interested in Linux, I'd be
> happy to provide help and appreciate any feedback from you.
Sure. I'll make you an account when I get it installed if you want
to do some development.

> I can build a reasonably recent kernel (that is known to work at least
> for the 3MAX+, the 4MIN and the 4MAX+) and make it available for you if
> you'd like to give it a shot.  You can take a suitably recent userland
> from elsewhere (mine is a development environment only and hardly useful
> for anything else, e.g. no startup scripts, only inittab), e.g. Debian
> provides support for the little-endian MIPS.  You can also try the Debian
> installation kernel, initially -- perhaps it'll work out of the box.
I've got my PMAX from hardcore hardware collectioner Meelis Roos from
Tartu University. He's got many DECstation variants and from what he said
I understand that 2.6 linuxes do not work on 3100 models yet.

Yeah, Debian is probably the only choice, I don't want Gentoo on this
machine :)

>  Maciej

Boris