Subject: Re: PMAX serial console
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.org>
From: Skylar Thompson <skylar@cs.earlham.edu>
List: port-pmax
Date: 09/17/2004 19:28:57
--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH

On Sun, Sep 12, 2004 at 11:03:58PM +0300, Boris Maryshev wrote:
> Hi all!
>=20
> I'm trying to build serial console to my PMAX (unfortunately I don't have=
 any=20
> other options).
>=20
> I looked at http://q.dyndns.org/~blc/DS3100/pinouts.html (thanks Benson!)=
 and=20
> at Bill Sherman's guide to serial cable wiring=20
> (http://www.ncsa.uiuc.edu/VR/Info/serial_info.html) and did it like this:
>=20
> PMAX MMJ-6<->RS-232 DB9
> 1. DTR <-> db9-9
> 2. TD (+) <-> db9-2
> 3. TD (-) <
>     -> db9-7
> 4. RD (-) <
> 5. RD (+) <-> db9-3
> 6. DSR <-> db9-6
>=20
> With this kind of setup all I could get from PMAX's "Printer" port is ran=
dom=20
> symbols. "Serial" is silent.
> Then I thought that I should actually make null modem, so i did it like t=
his:

What kind of PMAX machine are you using? All the DEC models I've worked
with use the first serial port as the console port by default, and require
a null modem for operation. Are you sure your terminal isn't frobbed?

--=20
-- Skylar Thompson (skylar@cs.earlham.edu)
-- http://www.cs.earlham.edu/~skylar/

--ReaqsoxgOBHFXBhH