Subject: Free hardware in Pittsburgh...
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Matthew Orgass <darkstar@city-net.com>
List: port-pmax
Date: 08/20/2004 23:53:34
  I have some hardware in Pittsburgh that I would like to get rid of ASAP.
I had hoped to be able to put this stuff to good use but have run out of
time and space.  I will keep them at least another week, but if they are
not spoken for by then I will likely take them over to High Tech Scrap.
I can keep stuff longer for actual pickup if necessary.  A few of the
smaller items could be shipped, but most would need to be picked up.

  The thing I would most like to see find a good home is not actually a
pmax but a Tektronix 4107A vector graphics terminal.  It has a keyboard,
however many keys are not working.  The terminal has a small back plastic
panel missing exposing what looks like ROMs but otherwise seems to be in
good condition.

  I have two chips that look like ROMs labeled 23-075E8-00 and
23-076E8-00.  I don't know if this is for the terminal or the DECstations
or something else.

  I have two DECstation 3100 (one listed as 3100S) plus a case motherboard
and power supply that has otherwise been used as parts for the other two
(power supply seems to work, don't know about the motherboard).  The two
"working" 3100s I have not actually been able to verify work, as I do not
have a monitor and have unable to get a response with a H8571-A connected
by means of a phone cable cut to fit (I verified all six contacts go
through).  With one of the systems I tried several combinations of cables
connected to the H8571-A and verified that everyting before this connector
worked with my maxine (though I don't know if I got the flow control
completely right).  I had removed the display memory card in the 3100 and
installed a mouse terminator.  I also tried the other system, however that
time I didn't verify that everything before the final connector otherwise
worked.  I only have one such connector.  In both cases the lights in the
back went ond after a while all turned off.  For the second system I
noticed that the lights blinked again (and again all went off) maybe 30
seconds or a minute after they went off the first time.  I don't remember
seeing this with the first system I tested, but I could easily have not
been looking when they did this.  With the first system I tested I also
tried inserting video memory and a keyboard and entering an initialization
sequence I saw on an old message to this list, which did not seem to have
any effect.  If someone has any ideas I can try a few more things to see
if they can be made to work with serial console.

I also have for the DS3100:
4 keyboards
2 or 3 mice
2 mouse terminators
4 AUI terminators
3 SCSI terminators for the back of the case
1 display cable
2 VFB01 video memory cards
3 VFB02
Assorted external and internal SCSI cables

I have several SCSI drives of variuos ages, including four large
(physically :) ) drives (three I think are DEC drives, one is definately a
seagate drive) and three or four smaller drives.  I don't remember the
capacities of any of the drives, although at least one of the smaller ones
may be 1GB.  There are four external drive cases (narrower and somewhat
taller than the system units) three of which currently contain the likely
DEC drives and one seems to be empty (presumably intended for the
seagate).  Even without the drive these cases are quite heavy.

Not DEC equipment but presumably usable with a DECstation, I have two IBM
SCSI tape drives and 8-10 tapes (I don't recall what kind or what capacity
but can check for anyone potentially interested) and two IBM SCSI CD-ROM
drives (1x, I think).

I am keeping my maxine :), but I have found the perfect floppy drive
replacement (a SCSI PCMCIA card reader) and have a floppy drive available
(this is the unsupported variety).

Not pmax related at all but worth a brief mention just in case anyone here
is interested: I have some old i386 equipment, the oldest being an i386-25
motherboard with no coprocessor but most being pentium/ISA era stuff.

Matthew Orgass
darkstar@city-net.com