Subject: Boot issues for CDROM/pmax 1.6.2
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.org>
From: Benson Chow <blc+pmax@q.dyndns.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/03/2004 19:49:35
I seem to be even having issues booting the ISO 1.6.2 cd on a
pmax.  This is a 7.0 ROM DECstation 3100 with a Quantum Lightning 730S and
a Yamaha CRW8424S CDRW in 512byte sector mode.  Could the following
failure be caused by an incompatible cdrom drive?

Since I had a working 1.2D install, I used that to install the new disk
with 1.6.2, which runs fine and dump the old creaking RZ55s.  Without the
1.2D install, I don't think I could have installed 1.6.2 without resorting
to netboot or some other helper machine.

The following is the excerpt of booting 1.6.2 pmax cd.  I typed it in by
hand so there may be some typos.
-----
>> boot -f rz(0,2,0)

NetBSD/pmax 1.6.2 ISO 9660 Primary Bootstrap
Can't load 'rz(0,2,0)/boot.pmax'
7449 scsi stp
open failed
open rz(0,2,0)/boot: 6
Can't load 'rz(0,2,0)/boot'
7449 scsi stp
open failed
open rz(0,2,0)/boot.pma: 6
Can't load 'rz(0,2,0)/boot.pma'

Excptn:    <vtr=NRML>
Excptn pc: 0x80700070
Creg:      0x30000010<CE=3,EXC=RADE>
Sreg:      0x30000000<CU1,CU0,IPL=8>
Vaddr:     0x9d
Sp:        0x806fffe8
exit(-1)

KN01 v7.0
-----
Seeing this, it read the boot sector fine, but had issues loading the
kernel image.  As expected, I can read cdroms fine in 1.6.2 (mount
/dev/cd0c /mnt , etc.)  And I'm still a newbie at this, and couldn't get
cdrecord to -scanbus and find the Yamaha.  The machine's so slow that I
probably couldn't burn at more than 1X anyway before it'd start
underrunning...

I haven't used this machine in ages, so I'm quite out of the loop for any
development issues (other than noticing people starting to drop support of
this machine).  If there's a cd image I could download to test on my
DECstation in the meantime, I'd be willing to try it.

-bc

WARNING: All HTML emails get auto deleted.  DO NOT SEND HTML MAIL.
WARNING: Emails with large typo counts/spelling errors will also be deleted.