Subject: Re: NetBSD 2.0_BETA on pmax using 2048 byte sectors instead of 512
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Anders Gavare <md1gavan@mdstud.chalmers.se>
List: port-pmax
Date: 07/03/2004 16:21:39
Hello,

I'd like to know if someone on this list has tried to install NetBSD
2.0_BETA on a DECstation using CDROM media.

I assume Simon doesn't mind me posting this to the list:

On Thu, 1 Jul 2004, Simon Burge wrote:
> Anders Gavare wrote:
> > The problem is the following:  when NetBSD 1.6.2 reads from the
> > emulator's emulated SCSI CD-ROM drive, it first checks the size of a
> > logical block (which is 512 bytes), and then reads a number of blocks,
> > transfering the number of blocks times 512 bytes of data. Everything is
> > nice and works well.  With NetBSD 2.0_BETA (as of 20040606, and a
> > 20040629 kernel (but that had other issues as well)), it tries to read x
> > blocks but the (dma) transfer is 2048 bytes times the number of blocks.
> > It is just as if NetBSD suddenly assumes that we're using 2048 byte
> > blocks, disregarding the value (512) returned by the emulated CD-ROM.
> >
> > I _think_ that real DECstations actually do use 512 byte sectors.
> >
> > Is this a problem you know about? Has anyone tried the latest builds on
> > a real DECstation? (With a CD-ROM.)
>
> I don't have any CD-ROMs on any of my DECstations here.  I'm guessing
> that your first access of the device is failing?  I'll ask around to see
> if I can find someone with a DECstation with a CD-ROM on 2.0 or later.
> Or you could try asking on port-pmax@netbsd.org which may get you a
> quicker answer.

It might not be required to attempt a full install, it might be
sufficient to try to just _read_ a CDROM using NetBSD 2.0_BETA on pmax.
If anyone has done this, I'd like to know.

Anders