Subject: Re: Roberta Sappington/ASO/FAA is out of the office.
To: None <port-pmax@NetBSD.org>
From: der Mouse <mouse@Rodents.Montreal.QC.CA>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/26/2004 01:57:19
>> [out-of-office autoreply]
> Please don't enable out of office replies to public mailing lists.

I suspect - I have only circumstantial evidence for this - that that's
not an out-of-office reply to mailing list mail, but rather a response
to a malware-generated spam that forged the list's submission address
into the from field(s).

My principal evidence for this is that I've seen broken out-of-office
autoresponses in response to my bugtraq messages for years, probably a
decade by now, but only in the last month or two, with the rise of
from-address-forging malware, have I started seeing them in any
quantity to the NetBSD lists.  If this were due to twits autoresponding
to list mail, I believe I would have been seeing it for years and years.

/~\ The ASCII				der Mouse
\ / Ribbon Campaign