Subject: Re: mop booting -current?
To: Chris Tribo <ctribo@college.dtcc.edu>
From: Maciej W. Rozycki <macro@ds2.pg.gda.pl>
List: port-pmax
Date: 02/20/2004 15:43:58
On Fri, 20 Feb 2004, Chris Tribo wrote:

> 	Do we have anything to convert from elf or ecoff to a.out? I
> thought PMAX machines could mop boot ecoff kernels. Apparently this is not
> the case? I use to mop boot my VAX from a pmax machine, but someone said
> the mop code was too "VAXcentric" to work with other archs. Is that still
> true or is the compiler/elf2ecoff to blame here?
>
> MAXine# mopchk netbsd.ecoff
> Checking: netbsd.ecoff
> RSX Image
> Header Block Count: 0
> Image Size:         00000000
> Load Address:       00005270
> Transfer Address:   00000200
>
> >> boot 3/mop
> ???
> ? PC: 0xa0010fb0(vtr=UTLBM)
> ? CR: 0xc(CE=0,EXC=TLBS)
> ? SR: 0x30080000(CU1,CU0,CM,IPL=8)
> ? VA: 0x5270

 I'm using patched mopd to boot ELF Linux images (both ELF32 and ELF64)
straight over the network successfully for many years.  Both over Ethernet
and FDDI.  Patches are available at:
'ftp://ftp.ds2.pg.gda.plftp/pub/macro/mopd/'.  They were only tested on a
Linux system, but I'd be happy to hear if they work for NetBSD (or any
other system); more even seeing patches in case something's wrong.  I can
help synchronizing the changes with your source as well.

$ mopchk vmlinux
Checking: vmlinux
ELF 64-bit LSB executable
Size of seg #00:    0025ff10 (+ 000000f0 fill)
Size of seg #01:    00067000 (+ 000515e8 fill)
Load Address:       80040000
Transfer Address:   802a4000

  Maciej