Subject: Re: Maxine graphic card hardware problem
To: None <port-pmax@netbsd.org>
From: Jean-Pierre HOFER <jph@stephenson.net.dhis.org>
List: port-pmax
Date: 11/20/2003 15:31:12
> Hello,
>
> I had NetBSD running on my 5000/33. After a long periode where I did not use
> the system, I had the following problem when I tried to start up this week:
> Instead of the rather colorful graphics card self-test that the system
> normally does, I only get a steady, white, cursor-like rectangle in the
> lower left corner of the screen. The system does not boot and does not
> react on any input. Has anybody had similar failures and a solution?
> Is there a way to set the 5000/33 to serial console mode without access to
> the prom in such a situation?
>
> Best regards,
> Reiner.

Hallo,

I had also somewhat similar start problems with a 5000/150; the PROM autotest
seemed to run the framebuffer card tests mad.
There was no real solution; only repetitive <CTRL> c was able to breake
(after a long time !) an infinite loop of the PROM test code. And the problem
diseapeared later, after removing and reinstalling of the framebuffer and
some toggle from graphic to serial console and vice versa (setenv console *
or s).

I suspect some low battery problem ("After a long periode where I did not use
the system" :  the battery could be low, if any); but is there some battery
backup for the clock etc. on the 5000/xx ?  I was never able to find a
battery on the 5000/1xx and 5000/xx motherboards. Perhaps some little
rechargeable battery solded on the board ?

Best regards,

Jean-Pierre